- ALWAYS read appliance instructions
Understanding your appliance helps to improve device performance and safety. If an appliance gives you even a slight shock, stop using and call a professional.
- Don’t overload your outlets with too many plugs
Your outlets should all be cool to the touch, have protective faceplates and be in good working order.
Don’t use extension cords or multi-outlet converters for appliances
● Only plug one heat-producing appliance into an outlet at a time
● Hot outlets should be checked by qualified electricians
● Remember that powerstrips only add outlets- they don’t change the amount of power the outlet receives
● Smart plugs can be used to monitor outlet power loads. They can even shut off appliances if the outlet starts to overheat.
- Repair or replace damaged electrical cords
Damaged power cords are a serious residential safety risk. They can cause both fires and electric shock. Check power and extension cords regularly for fraying and cracking.
If you find yourself over using extension cords it may mean that you don’t have enough outlets for your needs. Contact a professional to install more outlets to fit your needs.
- Keep cords secure and organized to prevent damage
Cords should be kept away for children and pets who may chew on them. Avoid wrapping cords tightly which can cause stretching or overheating as well as resting on a hot surface, that can damage the cords insulation and wires.
- Unplug unused appliances
The most simple electrical safety tip is to unplug your appliances when they are not in use. Doing so saves power and protects from overheating and power surges.
- Keep electrical devices and outlets away from water
Water and electricity don’t mix. Keep your electrical equipment dry and away from water to prevent damage to appliances, personal injury and electrocution.
- Give your appliances room to breath
Electrical equipment needs space for air circulation. Without it they can overheat and short out creating a fire hazard.
- Keep your exhaust fans clean
Some appliances have exhaust fans which can get dirty or clogged. Keep them clean to avoid overheating and fire hazards.
- Fixtures and appliances need the correct wattage
Using the right bulbs can prevent electrical problems. If a fixture does not have a required wattage listed, use 60-watt bulbs or less. For unmarked ceiling fans, use 25-watt bulbs.
- Be aware of heaters and water heaters to prevent potential accidents
Keep combustible items away from portable heaters and built-in furnaces. Store any combustible materials away from any heating appliances. Portable heaters should not be operated near curtains.
High temperature settings on your water heater can cause burns and unintentional scalding to small children. Check your settings today!