WHEN WATERING YOUR LAWN
● Observe the Acton Water District’s outdoor water restrictions.
● Let rainfall do your watering — there are often weeks when we receive an inch or more of rainfall. Providing lawns with more than one inch of water per week may be bad for the lawn, and is a waste of our precious water supplies.
● Water no more than 1 inch per week. Place empty cans around your lawn where you are watering and measure the depth of water to determine how long it takes to water 1 inch.
● Water only as rapidly as the soil can absorb it.
● Water your lawn in the early morning to minimize evaporation and prevent the growth of fungi. Avoid watering when it is windy.
● Gradually extend the length of time between waterings. This will cause the grass to require less water and be more drought resistant, as well as conserve water.
● Avoid watering the sidewalk or driveway.
● If you have an automatic sprinkler system, shut it off after any substantial rainfall.