The best way to avoid a clogged shower drain is to actively prevent clogs from happening in the first place. Follow these steps to keep drains clear.
- Invest in a drain protector. This will catch hair before it goes into the drain.
- Brush hair before washing to get out all loose hair outside of the shower
- Don’t pour dirty mop water down the shower drain as the dirt and debris can clog the drains. Pour dirty water outside.
- Avoid oily products in the shower. Oil is difficult to rinse away and can stick to dirt and hair that is already in the drain causing a slow drain.
- Keep up with scheduled drain maintenance. Pour boiling water or baking soda and vinegar into the drain once a month to keep drains clear and water moving.